Aug 6, 2012

I find this somewhat unnerving.

I make no secret of the fact I’m looking for work. A friend of mine once said to me,“You should always be looking.”

But lately, all my efforts have been devoted towards finding a regular, steady gig and admittedly there are times when I feel somewhat discouraged to say the least. I know of several people who have just simply given up entirely – they just stopped working. I know how some of them get by but others, I can’t figure out how they’re managing.

I don’t have that luxury, like a shark I have to keep swimming or I’ll die.

In the meantime I came across this article today, let me give you the backstory = a young 20 something with a masters degree took it upon himself to create a fake ad on Craig’s List for a non existent job. He didn’t do it for shits and giggles as much as an experiment to see what kind of response he got. It’s actually a great article replete with charts even but take a gander if you will.

I’m off a mind that you simply have to keep plugging away to increase your odds of success but reading the article I can readily accept how hard it is to put on a brave face:
I created a fake e-mail address to receive all of the applications.

Before I published the ad, I hypothesized that I would receive a lot of résumés, and I didn't want applicants usurping my personal inbox, especially for a non-existent position.

“A lot of résumés” is an egregious understatement.

I published the ad at exactly 2:41 P.M. on Thursday. The first response came in at 2:45—just four minutes later. Ten minutes later, there were 10 responses. Twenty minutes later, there were 56. An hour later: 164. Six hours: 431.

At 2:41 P.M. on Friday—exactly 24 hours after I posted the ad—there were 653 responses in my brand new inbox. Not wanting to face any more after that, I promptly removed the ad from Craigslist.

No comments: